Trading Platforms FAQs
- What are the different trading platforms that you offer?
- How do I use the trading platforms and apps?
- What are the features of your online trading platform?
- Are the trading platforms secure?
- Are there any guides on how to use the trading platforms?
- I can't access the trading platform
- What should I do if I receive an error when placing a trade or an order?
- I am unable to view trading charts, what should I do?
- Why do the prices on the trading charts differ from live prices?
- Do I need Flash to access the online trading platform?
What are the different trading platforms that you offer?
On desktop, you can trade on our Web Trader platform. On mobile, we have City Index trading apps for iOS and Android devices, which can be downloaded from their respective app stores. You can access your account(s) on any of these platforms.
We also offer MetaTrader 4 (MT4), which requires a specific City Index MT4 account to log in with. You can apply for an MT4 account here.
You can find out more information about all of the trading platforms we offer here.
How do I use the trading platforms and apps?
The best way to familiarise yourselves with using the different trading platforms and all their features is by watching our 'How to trade' videos, which you can find under the 'Platforms & Products' section of the website.
You can also practise by signing up for a demo account.
What are the features of your online trading platform?
- Place trades securely from your computer 24 hours a day
- Trade CFDs and spread bets from either our web platform or mobile trading app
- Access over 13,500 markets including global shares, indices, ETFs, forex (FX), commodities and options
- Instantly access real-time financial news and analysis feeds from Thomson Reuters
- Access our interactive live pricing charting package which includes a range of technical analysis tools
- Create multiple watchlists to monitor potential future trades
Modern PCs will run our interface successfully, but we recommend that you have at least a 2GHz processor with 4GB of RAM and up to 40MB of available hard disk space. This will also be dependent on what other applications your computer is running.
Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1-8, Windows 7 or newer.
Mac: OS 10.12 or newer.
Chrome browser 56 and above is recommended for our platform, although it will perform on all other major browsers – such as Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Download the latest version of Firefox.
The platform is best viewed at a screen resolution of at least 1280x768. You can adjust your screen resolution by going to 'Control Panel' > 'Display' > 'Change Display Settings'.
Are the trading platforms secure?
Yes. All our trading platforms are accessed via a HTTPS connection and are secure. To access your trading account on any of our trading platforms, you will be required to enter your username and password.
Are there any guides on how to use the trading platforms?
Yes - please refer to our Platform Tutorials; these feature short videos that will walk you through everything from funding your trading account, to using watchlists and placing trades. You can find out more about each of the trading platforms we offer here.
I can't access the trading platform
Certain settings on your computer may be preventing you from logging on to our trading platform. Clearing your cookies and cache should help resolve this issue. Can’t find what you're looking for? Visit our FAQ pages or start a chat with support.
What should I do if I receive an error when placing a trade or an order?
If you receive an error, please contact our customer support team immediately and we will do everything we can to help.
I am unable to view trading charts, what should I do?
You may need to turn off your pop-up blocker.
Why do the prices on the trading charts differ from live prices?
The charts provided are indicative and represent mid-prices only; they should not be used to verify exact fill levels. Please note you can change the price to bid or ask using the drop down settings on the chart.
Do I need Flash to access the online trading platform?
Our powerful new platform, Web Trader, does not require flash and is built on fast HTML5 technology.
Please read: Installing Macromedia Flash Player from the Macromedia website with the default options will install the Google Toolbar. The Pop-up Blocker in the Google Toolbar can cause problems when logging on to your account. We recommend disabling the Google Toolbar installation (by unchecking the box) before proceeding with the Flash installation.