Frequently asked questions
What are the requirements of a professional trader?
To qualify as a professional trader, you must meet two of the following three criteria:
- To have made an average of at least 10 significantly sized transactions per quarter for the last four quarters
- To currently have a financial portfolio in excess of £500,000 (including cash deposits)
- To have worked in a professional capacity in the financial sector for 1+ years – the role must have required knowledge of leveraged trading products
Before you consider trading professionally, we’d recommend ensuring that you have strong experience of the markets, a track record of success, enough time to dedicate to trading and a clear plan. A professional trading account gives you access to higher leverage and flexible margins but doesn’t feature all of the protections that come with a standard account – including negative balance protection.
What are the features of a City Index professional account?
The features of a City Index professional account include margin rates from 0.25%, monthly cash rebates, market execution support, interest-free credit facilities, a dedicated relationship manager and unique fee structures. If you’re eligible, you can open your Pro account here.
What if I am not eligible to become a professional trader?
If you’re not eligible to become a professional trader, you can still trade with a standard City Index account. You’ll get access to a huge range of tools to help you conquer the markets, including:
- Award-winning trading platforms
- Performance Analytics
- SMART Signals
- Advanced charts from TradingView
- Expert market analysis
- Fast trade executions
Don’t have an account yet? Open your trading account here.